Learning Circles, a facilitated seven-month peer learning program, aims to strengthen a new generation of leaders by supporting nonprofits in our community. Group sessions and individual coaching focus on developing leadership competencies in the following areas:
- Building a vision
- Maximizing your values at work
- Knowing yourself
- Building strategic relationships
- Making sense of experience
- Challenging yourself
Groups consist of up to eight members who meet monthly for facilitated, two-hour sessions. Participants are also provided seven sessions with a leadership coach. Through this program, participants discover personal strengths and values, identify a support system, and create their own leadership development plan. The plan is created by completion of monthly, self-directed learning assignments. Cost for participating in the full program is $400.
“This program helped me get outside of my head and see that it’s critical, in work, to step back and evaluate any situation by asking is this reality or is this the story I’m telling myself? I came into the program committed to pushing myself to embrace my accomplishments with more confidence and to be more assertive. The program helped me make significant progress on both goals.”
The core competency framework for the program is grounded in Gallup's landmark research presented in the 2004 article Seven Demands of Executive Leadership. The process is based on the theory of action-learning which assumes that the best learning results from real-world application and on-going dialogue with others related to new information and materials.
CNE piloted this program in 2012 with a group of emerging leaders. Evaluation results from the pilot have been strong and given us great feedback for improving the program moving forward.
- Opportunities to build leadership competencies
- Creation of a plan that articulates the desired progression of your leadership development
- Access to the latest management information and resources
- Opportunities for self-directed learning, discovery, and to grow professionally
- An opportunity to discuss staff, board and organizational challenges in a confidential environment
- A network of trusted peers who understand the unique nature of nonprofits
- Ongoing support for and advice about dealing with workplace issues
- Renewed motivation, enhanced productivity and a personal support system
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Be a CNE member
- Be a paid staff member for a nonprofit in Central Virginia
- Be recognized by their organization's Executive Director to have high-potential for personal and professional growth to make contributions to the local nonprofit sector
- Supervisory and/or budget responsibilities preferred
- Work for a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of at least $100,000, and in existence for at least three years
- Commit to the seven month program (meeting twice in the first month and once each month thereafter)
- Sign a confidentiality agreement
For questions about the program please contact Alicia Perham, Director of Programs.
The application deadline for the 2013 Learning Circle for Emerging Leaders has passed and we are no longer accepting new applicants.